Friday, February 24, 2012

Reese's Birth Day!

Monday, February 20th we went to the hospital at 4:30am to be induced. Doctor Gorman was happy to do an induction because I had what's called a "favorable cervix" which basically means I was dilated and thinned enough that breaking my water would likely put me into labor. It worked! Reese was due to arrive 2/29/12, so she was a few days early, but her lungs were ready and so was mommy's body!

I was in a bed by 5:00am with an IV started. At that time I was 3+cm dilated (and had been for a week already). The anesthesiologist came in and had the epidural in by 7:00am. I had a slight drop in blood pressure (which is very common) but our nurse Maria gave me some extra IV fluids and rolled me to my left side and got it right back up. I eventually had to roll to my right side because my left side numbness was much stronger than my right. Doctor Gorman came in to check me and I was 5cm dilated. At 7:30am he broke my water. They consider that the "beginning of labor." They started the pitocin around 8:00am to get my contractions going stronger and then we just waited.

Around 11:00am I had dilated to 10cm and was ready to push! We had to wait for Gorman to get downstairs. By 11:35am I was pushing! It took my 4 series of three pushes (Dr. Gorman stopped me after the first series and said "hold on, let me get a mask, I can see that this isn't going to take long!") and she was OUT! Yay for fast, easy labor.

Reese was born at 11:47am weighing 6 pounds 14 ounces and was 19 1/4 inches long. She is perfect and looks a lot like Brett :) She has dark brown hair and the cutest little eyebrows! We think she has a "Burgoyne" nose like Auntie Lauren's. 

All ready to go!

Here she is.. look at those long, skinny feet like Momma's 

first moments with Daddy

Precious girl

Daddy is proud!

First picture with Mommy and Daddy

Mommy's baby girl

Nana was so excited to meet her new granddaughter

Uncle Christian, Aunt Angela and Cousin Sage were there to visit

Papa Stan is in love too :)

Brooke was awesome and took pictures for us!!

Aunt Dixie was there for the birth.. she missed Brett's by 5 minutes!

WeWe loving on her baby girl

First family picture (Brett wasn't really interested)

Barrett brought a rose and a ringpop for Reese.. he proposed! We think she said "yes"

Reese and Daddy napping

Ready to go home the next day! We only had to stay 24 hours :)

Heading home in our new van!

PawPaw Bo came to visit the next day. He's a little smitten! 

We are so blessed and happy to be home. Brett is taking a little time to adjust to being a big brother but we will get it all worked out :) Reese is eating well now that my milk is in and sleeping about 3 hours at a time through the night. Awesome!

1 comment: